Every man needs a chili recipe. As of a week ago, I have mine.
This is based on one from Allrecipies, but I modified it by halving the beef, adding more beans, and doubling most of the spices except for the chili powder, which I halved. To me, too much chili powder obscures the other tastes.
- 1.25 pounds of lean ground beef
- 30 oz of tomato juice, maybe less. Put this in last so you don't make it too soupy.
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup Chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (more if you want)
- 2 cans of red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Brown ground beef on stove. Drain and crumble.
- Add all ingredients to a large kettle. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer very slowly for at least 2 hours, preferably more. If you have a crock pot, use that.
- Serve with sour cream or cheese.